The Buddha left us a set of guidelines for us to follow on the path to be free from suffering. Here is a simple explanation of that set of guidelines.
The Eightfold Path
1. Right Understanding: To keep ourselves free of prejudice and superstition, and to see the true nature of life.
2. Right Thought: To turn our minds away from the violence and hatred in this world and work on focusing on the positive.
3. Right Speech: To refrain from harmful talk and to use our words wisely.
4. Right Action: To see that our deeds come from peace and goodwill. To grow every day in the Buddha’s Teachings.
5. Right Livelihood: To try to earn our living in such a way that we avoid harming ourselves and others.
6. Right Effort: To use our energies to promote the overcoming ignorance and destructive desires.
7. Right Mindfulness: To cherish a good mind and be attentive.
8. Right Concentration: To practice meditation and cultivate awareness.